March 26, 2006

twelve ball puzzle...

"there are twelve balls of identical appearance. all but one have exactly the same mass. the odd ball is either slightly lighter or slightly heavier than the rest. by using a two-sided balance at most three times, work out a set of procedures to determine which of the twelve balls is the odd ball and whether it is lighter or heavier than the rest."

this is a brain teaser that my dad told me about quite a few years ago when i was still in uni back in auckland. one of my favourites among the many from him. apparently, there is more than one solution out there. the number 3 is key to the one that i worked out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ashley Tsai said...

Hey! Welcome! I ve just realised you have a blog and guess what we use exactly the same templates! (great minds to think alike i guess)

It's only Sat morning here so have no brain power to solve any puzzle whatsoever but yes I do miss your dad's puzzles... my favourite is the one where these people who stayed in the hotel ordered pizza and gave the delivery boy some tips or something like that....

April 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home